Many people outside the world of the foster care system seem to
think that only "BAD" parents have their children taken from them;
usually temporarily and sometimes permanently.
Before I became a foster parent I was quick to assume why someone had
"lost" a child to the system.
Since I started fostering children I am shocked at how off base I really
was..
The top 10 reasons for a child being removed are.
1. Physical Abuse
2. Sexual Abuse
3. Neglect
4. Medical Neglect
6. Abandonment
7. Truancy
8. Death
10. Juvenile Offender
I never thought about the death of a parent being the cause of a
child entering the foster care system, nor did I ever think about a parent
voluntarily placing a child in the system. Truth is, these situations happen
often.
It is a well-known fact in the foster community that older
children are harder to place; some are in care to no fault of their own and
others are juvenile offenders whose parents could no longer deal with the
child's needs.
As a foster parent is my job to provide a safe, loving environment
for the children until they can go home or find their forever homes. At times
this is way easier said than done, there is no magic pill, no answer to every
question. Some days I want to rip my hair out and hide in the bathroom with a
bottle of wine. Other days I am so proud of the leaps forward my foster
children have made it reminds me why I do what I do.
In one of my foster care communities I reached out to see what
topics they thought non foster parents should know. Best Answer: "I think
that people too often believe that kids are in foster care because the parents
don't want or love them. Most of the bios I have dealt with truly love their
kids but simply lack the skills (or sometimes the motivation) to care them
properly".
So, which is it? Lack of skills or lack of love?? What can we as a
community do to help provide parents with better skills to cope and proper resources to keep or reunite children with their families ?
IMAGES
IMAGES


What a moving post!
ReplyDeleteYour list on how children enter foster care was enlightening. Being a parent is difficult. It comes with much more sacrifice and worry than rewards. Hopefully the rewards outweigh everything else. I think you have right idea that we need more community support to help families.
ReplyDelete